Only 30 miles east from Helsinki, the capital of Finland, Porvoo is definitely a place you should visit when you are in this Nordic country.
Did you know Porvoo was one of the six medieval towns and actually bigger than Helsinki? That’s just one of the reasons why you should Visit Porvoo in Finland. looking through the hundreds of photographs that I took in this beautiful and charming city and its surroundings over one sunny and warm weekend in September, I realised that each landscape and portrait offers a reason why you should visit Porvoo. Here’s the best of them. I give you 47 reasons.
1. Setting foot into Porvoo, you’ll find yourself pulling on a pair of their locally made woollen socks to keep your toes roasting warm!
2. Before anything, you simply have to try out Porvoo’s delectable and tasty Runeberg Tortes. A Finnish pastry flavoured with almonds and rum. On top there’s jam on top of a sugar ring. Yum yum yum!
3. If you are looking for a budget-friendly and high quality place to stay in Porvoo, use Porvoo Hostel!
4. Immerse yourself in the history and culture of Porvoo by undertaking the Old Town Porvoo Bike Tour.
5. Relax at the magical feeling Linnankoski Park and walk through the golden leaves.
6. Celebrate the life of Finland’s national poet, Runeberg, at his preserved home now known as the Porvoo Museum.
7. Don’t forget to check out the River Porvoonjoki on the many bridges throughout the city.
9. You’ll feel like you’ve gone back in time in Old Town Porvoo
10. Wonderful colours of Porvoo’s buildings!
11. The Colour Red in Porvoo. It’s so rich and striking to your eyes!
12. The Old Red Warehouses overlooking the River. This is the official picture of Porvoo.
13. The Funny and Quirky Buildings
14. The Pink City Hall of Porvoo
15. The cute Porvoo Cathedral that keeps getting burnt down!
17. The Library in Bosgard Mansion
18. See the Bees at Work in Bosgard Organic Farm
19. Porvoo has plenty of converted loft dance halls to shimmy your booty in!
20. Even more gorgeous red Nordic buildings in the countryside
21. These red buildings can get even more gorgeous the more you look!
22. Porvoo loves to be environmentally friendly and use sustainable methods
23. The Bulls
24. Locally prepared and delicious food including meats and homegrown veg.
25. The reflective waters in Porvoo Marina
26. The Art Factory showcasing Art Galleries, studios, halls, shops and a cinema
27. Everyone loves their Seafood Starters in tastefully gilded spoons
31. Don’t forget to try our the musky and locally brewed beers and ales
32. The busy Porvoo Flea Market on the weekends and find great bargains
34. On the Pellinki Archipelago in porvoo, you’ll certainly be wishing you are in Finland for the rest of your life.
35. Explore the calming rockpools in the Pellinki Archipelago
36. Get back to Nature in Porvoo and feel content
37. The outdoor toilets on the islands of Pellinki Archipelago is certainly an experience…find out for yourself!
38. Porvoo has the best fish soup in the world. You got to try it to believe it!
39. The epic Landscapes of Pellinki Archipelago
40. Having Serene Sailing Experiences in the Pellinki Archipelago
41. You’ll always have a smile on your face when you are in Porvoo
42. Toast to the National Animal of Finland here.
43. Play on the swings to the best views of Finland
44. End your day with a relaxing trip in a Finnish Sauna and jump into freezing glacial waters to revitalise your body!
45. Porvoo literally has the best Seafood on offer in the world
46. You’ll want a garden like this one.
47. Finish your stay in Porvoo with a fizzy wine and enjoy your great memories from here!
So are you convinced to go to Porvoo? Flights leave regularly from London to Helsinki and it’s only a 45 minute drive from Helsinki to Porvoo. If you need to find out more information about Porvoo and its many delights, why not check out Visit Porvoo?
If you want to follow more Rexyedventures, please do follow me on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Or you can even sign up to receive emails from this amazing website by going back onto the homepage.